Life extension of Finnish icebreakers
The objective of this activity is to execute a life extension and upgrading program on two Finnish icebreakers IB VOIMA and IB SISU. IB SISU was built in the 70’s and VOIMA in the mid-50’s.
IB VOIMA has already gone through a total renewal (including replacement of main engines, new superstructure etc.) in the late 70s, which in aftermath wasn’t an economic success but has kept her in condition which justifies this second life extension. The life extension project for IB VOIMA is also justified by her being handy-size icebreaker with low operating cost. The required modifications include interalia strengthening and repair of hull and superstructure, renewal of the machinery, electrical and control/automation systems, navigation and communication systems and the icebreaker equipment. The vessels are expected to serve for 10 to 15 additional years following the life extension program.
Sub-Activity 4.1 – Life extension works on IB VOIMA
The scope of this sub-activity was to procure and supervise performance of the needed life extension works, as follows:
- Underwater hull: renewal of corroded shell plating.
- Accommodation area: galley renewal; mess room modification/re-configuration; and accommodation and cabins revitalization.
- Navigation: renewal of navigation equipment; and navigation bridge layout modification.
- Machinery: piping, pump, exchangers renewal: seawater cooling, fuel lines, fire main, heeling system, black water, potable water; boiler renewal; renewal of compressors: provisions cooler, working air etc.; shaft seals renewal; and overhaul of diesels, generators and propulsion motors.
- Electrical and control/automation systems: machinery control and automation systems renewal; and lighting upgrade/renewal.
- Icebreaker equipment: towing winch overhaul; and towing shield and mats.
The contract was awerded to Turku Repair Yard Ltd. in Naantali, Finland. The life-extension works on IB Voima have been nearly completed. Some minor works were postponed till 2018.
IB Voima in dock in Naantali.
Renewed bridge of IB Voima.
Sub-Activity 4.2 – Life extension works on IB SISU
The scope of this sub-activity is to procure and supervise performance of the needed life extension works for IB SISU, as follows:
- Dry docking: docking works and expenses; shaft pull-out (x4), shaft seals renewal; hull blasting and painting works, inspections and needed repair work for the bottom valves; tank inspections, execution of the needed repair and painting works; and life boat and – davits inspections, execution of the needed modifications.
- Accommodation areas: accommodation and cabins revitalization.
- Superstructure: consult work for the FEM-model (needed for planning of the repair work); and steel crack repairs and strengthening.
- Navigation: renewal of navigation equipment; renewal of telecommunication connections and modifications to the mast; and digitalization.
- Machinery: exhaust stack and exhaust silencers renewal; piping renewal; boiler renewal; total overhaul of generators and propulsion motors; and BWTS installation.
- Electrical and control/automation systems: lighting upgrade/renewal.
- Icebreaker equipment: towing winch total overhaul; towing shield and mats; and towing notch modification.